Data use policy for applicants
Why we collect your data and what we do with it
Reset (“we”, “us”, “our”) is committed to upholding data protection laws and providing you with transparent information about how we use or ‘process’ your data and your rights in relation to this. This notice explains how we process your data when you submit a grant application to us. If your application is successful, further information will be required from you, and further notice will be provided.
In order to apply for support from us, we ask for information about your idea, the background to it, your goals and the impact you hope to make through receiving a Reset grant. We use this information to understand and assess your application and to award grants in line with Reset’s values and mission. We also collect some personal contact details including your name, email address and the country you are based in.
Once you submit this information it is assessed by Reset, shared within our organisation and stored on our servers. We will use your contact details to get in touch with you and inform you of the outcome of your application. In some circumstances, we may also share your application and details with other our advisors, partners, other funders in our network, as well as other applicants. We will also retain a copy of it for our records and in case you wish to apply again in future – more information on this is provided below.
Legal basis for collecting and processing application data
Before we offer an award, we need information about how it will be used and who by. We collect this information from you through our open calls. The legal basis for this is preparation to enter into a contractual agreement with you for the provision of an award.
Special category data
We collect some data that might be sensitive, this is called “special category data” under the General Data Protection Regulation. When you make an application on behalf of an organization we ask for information about the race(s) of the leadership of your organization. This is optional, you do not have to provide this information and we will only collect this on the basis of your explicit consent. We want to reach an international and diverse applicant audience and we collect this information in accordance with this purpose.
How we retain your data and the legal basis for this
- Once you submit an application with us, we will retain it for different time periods, depending on how we categorize it:
- We retain unsuccessful applications that we deem outside the scope of Reset’s mission and values for 1 year after the application process has closed, we do so on the basis of our legitimate interest in maintaining a record of the application process and reviewing our assessment practices;
- We retain unsuccessful applications that we deem to be relevant to our work for 5 years on the basis of our legitimate interest in maintaining a record of the application process, in case the applicant’s idea is relevant in the future so we can invite the applicant to submit a further application, and so that we can maintain a record of applications to understand how the ideas and projects of applicants who apply multiple times have grown and developed over time;
- If your application is successful, we will retain it for at least as long as the award agreement is active and for a period of 10 years thereafter. More information about how we process awardee data will be supplied at a later time.
- We may also retain some non-personal information from all application categories for statistical purposes, including your country of residence, age demographic, and other information. We retain this information on the basis of our legitimate interests in developing an understanding of the size and demographics of the audience we are reaching overtime. This is processed in accordance with GDPR Article 89.
How we share your data and the legal basis for this
Reset is a project of Luminate Projects Limited, a private limited company registered with Companies House in the United Kingdom (#12433857) and a part of the Luminate Group of companies, including Luminate US Services LLC, Luminate Holdings LLC, and Luminate UK Services Limited (Companies House number 11125848) (“Luminate Group”).
We will share your application data with our advisors and partners for the purpose of evaluating the merits of your application and determining whether an application has been made with other funders. We do so on the basis of our legitimate interests in fulfilling our mission.
At our discretion, we will also share application data with other, third party funders in our network in order to understand how work is being funded in the area of our interests and to ensure our resources are being well spent and to accomplish our goal of being a trusted knowledge exchange. We share this on the basis of our legitimate interests primarily in ensuring that we are funding unique and relevant projects and ideas.
With your consent, where your application is unsuccessful with Reset but may be of interest to third party funders in our network, we may also share your application with those funders.
With your consent, we share select application data with all other applicants. This includes the name, email, organization name, and answers to specific application questions, which will be clearly visible to you while completing your application. We do this because applicants benefit from learning or collaborating with others to share lessons, insights, and skills and to accomplish our goal of being a trusted knowledge exchange.
Where we transfer your data outside of the European Union or the European Economic Area, we will ensure that your data is appropriately protected by requiring the recipient to respect and uphold your rights as a data subject under all applicable laws and by making the transfer subject to an international transfer safeguard, for example, the Standard Contractual Clauses issued by the European Commission.
You retain ownership of any intellectual property that you submit to us. In short, what belongs to you stays yours. When you submit an application to Reset, you give us a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free worldwide license to use, host, and store submitted content in whole or in part as outlined in this policy. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose outlined in this policy.
Policy updated 12 May 2020.